Thursday, July 22, 2010

Weight Loss Stuff

Okay, a couple of people I know have asked for some tips on weight loss and recipes and stuff. I have lost 76 lbs since I gave birth about a year ago. The biggest change in my life was not so much my daughter, but the fact that my husband had gastric banding and we had to completely overhaul our diets. Not that we were eating a lot of junk before, but we've had to really clean up the few stragglers -- and that means carbs. I've done just about all of the different diets out there, with no success until now. There's a reason that people who have bariatric surgery lose so much weight, and it's not all to do with the decreased portion size. It's the high protein, low fat, minimal carb diet. Do you have to give up everything? Probably not, but the more you do, the more you'll probably lose. So, my first brand name recommendation is for bread....yep, i eat bread...but only 1 slice at a time and only about 2 - 3 times per week. We only buy Martins Whole Wheat Potato Bread. Best for calories (70 per slice), with lower carbs than other breads, and a good dose of protein (6g). I've tried the "diet" bread that's super low carb, and to be honest, you might as well be eating a piece of cardboard. This actually tastes great and has a good texture, plus whole grains. We like to have 1 slice with breakfast (usually with a little sugar free jelly -- my husband does eat regular jelly because he can't stand the taste of the sugar free kind) -- or we'll have a slice with peanut butter as a snack. (another brand name.... we only use Peter Pan whipped peanut butter).

No comments:

Post a Comment